The Classroom Library Checklist
Classroom Library Environment
- The classroom has a clearly designated, accessible, and inviting library space.
- The classroom has several areas for students to read comfortably.
- Classroom rituals and routines are established to support student self-management of independent reading.
- The library area has room for 3 or 4 students to review and select texts.
Classroom Library Content
- I have at least 15 to 20 texts for each student.
- There is a balance of fiction and informational texts.
- The selection includes a range of genres and text structures.
- The selection includes a range of levels that meet my students’ needs.
- There is a variety of high-quality texts that meet my students’ ages, interests, and development.
- Texts have characters and content that are relevant to students’ background and the community.
- Many texts support content the students are learning (math, science, social studies).
Student Readiness and Self-Direction
- Students have been explicitly taught strategies for self-selection.
- Students have the stamina to read independently for up to 30 minutes.
- Students have a book bin/box and a protocol for the content.
- Students have a log or graph to record their reading and goals.
Organization and Management
- Shelves, bins, and containers display texts and promote self-selection.
- Texts are organized in multiple ways (level, genre, picture or chapter book, favorite author).
- Students know the organization system and use it effectively.
- Anchor charts provide guidance for self-selection, book bin protocols, and exchanging texts.
- A check-out and return system is in place and supports ongoing organization.
- The collection includes a system to “weed” old or unused books and “feed” new books.
Independent Reading and Conferring
- I have a conferring schedule to meet with students weekly or biweekly.
- I have a process to collect data on my students’ independent reading.
My conferring sessions include regular use ofGoal setting, which includes book choice, reading volume and/or pace, and reading a variety of genres. A system to check strategy application. Assessment of fluency and comprehension
/hobbies and interests/reading (0.674676)
/art and entertainment/books and literature (0.535670)
/education/teaching and classroom resources/lesson plans (0.301073)
Classroom Library (0.981275 (neutral:0.000000)), students (0.915976 (positive:0.181082)), Classroom Library Environment (0.868452 (neutral:0.000000)), independent reading (0.868062 (positive:0.379553)), Classroom Library Checklist (0.865361 (neutral:0.000000)), Classroom Library Content (0.820869 (neutral:0.000000)), texts (0.725964 (negative:-0.146139)), book bin protocols (0.685675 (neutral:0.000000)), Classroom rituals (0.642424 (positive:0.536756)), library space (0.563900 (positive:0.386258)), student self-management (0.563066 (positive:0.536756)), informational texts (0.553532 (positive:0.362380)), high-quality texts (0.550504 (positive:0.481165)), library area (0.543231 (neutral:0.000000)), text structures (0.534372 (positive:0.553968)), Student Readiness (0.531240 (positive:0.337620)), social studies (0.525968 (neutral:0.000000)), book bin/box (0.519891 (positive:0.256984)), reading volume (0.519557 (positive:0.228756)), strategy application (0.517425 (positive:0.730129)), multiple ways (0.515838 (neutral:0.000000)), chapter book (0.514026 (neutral:0.000000)), Anchor charts (0.513807 (positive:0.321996)), Goal setting (0.513547 (neutral:0.000000)), unused books (0.510073 (negative:-0.212564)), favorite author (0.508328 (positive:0.498942)), ongoing organization (0.507516 (positive:0.830374)), book choice (0.505775 (neutral:0.000000)), new books (0.503590 (positive:0.202201)), self-selection (0.418769 (positive:0.321996))
30 minutes:Quantity (0.010000 (neutral:0.000000))